Gregg Park Shelter
Careful restoration blends modern amenities with original historic charm
Challenge: The shelter house built in 1938, as a part of FDR’s New Deal stimulus program during the Great Depression, and was in desperate need of restoration.
Solution: Through a historic preservation grant, RQAW architects created a plan to keep the shelter house true to its original design, functional, and ensure strength of the building. The restrooms were completely renovated to incorporate ADA requirements and upgraded finishes. We also included changing tables, as the park didn’t have any prior. The main shelter house restoration included the replacement and rebuild of all the windows, and new lighting / two large ceiling fans. The shelter house is anchored with a large stone fireplace on each end. Both of those fireplaces had replacements of limestone lintels, stone tuckpointing, and new firebrick for the inside. The shelter house is used as rental space for everything from birthday parties to small wedding receptions. Work on the limestone included replacement, patching, and tuckpointing. After renovation, the space features new lighting fixtures, bathrooms, and roof, and rehabilitated doors and windows. The space has been updated to meet modern standards while retaining the original charm.
HIGHLIGHTSAdded: ADA requirements