Daviess County Courthouse
Challenge: Daviess County received a Historic Preservation Fund grant administered by the IDNR Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. The County wanted to complete repairs while preserving the courthouse's historic architecture, which was originally constructed in 1928 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a Neo-Classical Revival style building with a grand atrium featuring a large stained glass laylight surrounded by a pyramidal steel and glass skylight, which had numerous broken pieces that were at risk of falling.
Solution: Taking into account the funding and historical nature of the building, RQAW prepared all necessary documentation and specifications to properly restore the stained glass laylight to its original grandeur, while incorporating much needed safety measures. In coordination with the Indiana SHPO, RQAW completed the preliminary design plans. RQAW then oversaw the bidding process, final design, specifications, and construction monitoring. RQAW used National Park Service Preservation Briefs to develop a design that met the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation of Historic Buildings. Our methodical attention to detail throughout the laylight’s restoration helps preserve the building for continued enjoyment by the Daviess County community.